Needless to say those three words grabbed my attention immediately. And then when he said ...
The culture of schooling is radically at odds with the culture of learning that produces innovators.Tony Wagner
I was hooked.
Very good Ted Talk - just one gripe ...
He just about opens the talk with
I came to understand, that there's a set of core competencies every young person must be well on their way to mastery before he or she finished high school.
- critical thinking and problem solving
- collaboration across networks and leading by influence
- agility and adaptability
- initiative and entropenorialism
- effective oral and written communication
- accessing and analyzing information
- curiosity and imaginationTony Wagner
i.e. if you have left school, sorry - we taught you all wrong as to how to succeed in the life in front of you.
What he should have said was
I came to understand, that there's a set of core competencies every person must master.
I know he doesn't mean it and I guess it is about education - but the implication is that you have left school then 'we taught you all wrong'.
Keeping that in mind ... well worth a watch.